Is the cooler weather a motivation for you to sit more often at your desk and create your next award-winning story or illustration? It is for me, because i am a warm-weather person.
Speaking of awards, did you received your Swiss region newsletter at the beginning of September? In it is a section about awards.
SCBWI as an organisation does its best to encourage children's writers and illustrators, and one of the ways it does this is to give out awards. Did you know that there are over 20 different awards and grants you could receive from SCBWI?
i thought i highlight some of them here. These are the ones with upcoming datelines in November and December this year.
1) Jane Yolen Mid-List Author Grant - dateline November 1, 2019. This grant was created to honor the contribution of mid-list authors and aims to help raise awareness about their current works-in-progress. See details here.
2) Golden Kite Award (2nd wave submission) - dateline July 1 - November 15, 2019 (for books published in the second half of 2019). This award recognises excellence in children’s literature in six categories: Young Reader and Middle Grade Fiction, Young Adult Fiction, Nonfiction for Younger Readers, Nonfiction for Older Readers, Picture Book Text, and Picture Book Illustration. It is the only children’s literary award judged by a jury of peers. See details here.
3) Emerging Voices Award - dateline September 15 - November 15, 2019. This award is for any writer or writer/illustrator from an ethnic and/or cultural background that is traditionally under-represented in children’s literature in America. (Including but not limited to: American Indian, Asian, Black or African American, Hispanic, Pacific Islander). See details here.
4) Sid Fleischman Humor Award - dateline November 30, 2019. Given with the Golden Kite Awards, the Sid Fleischman Humor Award is an award for authors whose work exemplifies the excellence of writing in the genre of humor. See details here.
5) Magazine Merit Award - postmarked on or before December 15, 2019. This award is presented annually for original magazine work for young people; one in each category of fiction, nonfiction, illustration, and poetry, to honor SCBWI members’ outstanding original magazine work published during that year. See details here.
6) Spark Award - dateline November 15 - December 15, 2019. This award is an annual award that recognises excellence in a children’s book published through a non-traditional publishing route. See details here.
You can view the complete list of awards and grants from SCBWI here.
Do check out these awards and grants. They are most definitely worth your time and effort to enter for them.
All the best! Now get working on that masterpiece!
Now what does an image of a clock tower and some orange umbrellas have to do with the upcoming Europolitian Conference 2019 in Zurich, from 4th to 5th May? #Europolitian19SCBWI
Well, it's a shot from the test run of one of the pre-conference activities on offer at the conference. Sounds interesting? Mysterious? It could even be the inspiration for your next creative piece.
So if you have not signed up for the conference and are still thinking about it, stop thinking and go sign up here!
Registration closes 20 April 2019, 12 AM, Swiss Time. We have just a handful of places left.
See you at the conference!
Are you ready?
Registration for Europolitian 2019 Conference - Taking Your Work to the Next Level, in Zurich, Switzerland, opens Sunday, 6, Jan 2019, 8 a.m. Swiss time.
Spaces are very limited so get on this as early as you can. The website is here.
Good luck with registration and we hope to see you at the conference in May!
Autumn has arrived; it's time to get out the long sleeves and warm coats, it's time to get cosy. And that is exactly what we plan to do here at SCBWI Switzerland's new blog space.
We hope to be filling this space with news of our latest events and other points of interest for writers and illustrators of children's books. So stay tuned and we hope to see you at some of our upcoming events!
Do check out the About page if you are new to SCBWI and feel free to contact us via the Contact page, should you have any questions.
On behalf of the SCBWI Switzerland team, WELCOME!
Welcome to the new regional blog for SCBWI's Swiss chapter! We're launching this as a place to share regional news and tips related to writing, illustration, and the business of creating content for young readers. Watch this space for informative content that will help you on your professional path.
Elisabeth Norton, Regional Advisor & Monika Baum, Illustrator Coordinator
Willkommen! Bienvenue! Benvenuto! Bainvegnì! Welcome!